Matt Baker issues apology before addressing ‘tough’ decision during return to The One Show

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Matt Baker, 42, has revealed he will be taking on the Rickshaw Challenge for BBC Children In Need again this year alongside a team of six young people. The challenge involves the Countryfile presenter travelling thousands of miles with the youngsters who have been supported by the charity.

Matt returned to The One Show this evening via video call to discuss the exciting news with his former co-host Alex Jones and guest presenter Michael Ball.

However, in spite of the inspiring nature of the event, the star issued an apology to drivers who have found themselves stuck in traffic behind the rickshaws in previous years.

While making a comeback to the BBC show after quitting his hosting duties earlier this year, Matt said: “If anyone has been out and seen the rickshaw as we travel across the country, they’ll know that it’s a big old kind of travelling circus.

“So many vehicles, so many people, and I do apologise even now if you’ve been stuck in one of those traffic jams behind us.”

READ MORE… Matt Baker announces ‘tough’ news as Eamonn Holmes supports him

Fortunately, Matt insisted there would be no disruption to the roads this year, as he revealed the team will ride the 332 miles within the grounds of Goodwood due to coronavirus restrictions.

He continued: “I can guarantee that will not be happening this year because we aren’t going out on any public roads.

“We’re going to be in a lockdown situation going around Goodwood estate and Goodwood have been absolutely superb.

“So we’ve got quite a few options whilst we’re there, there’s an aerodrome at Goodwood so some Spitfires have said they’re going to do a fly past for us, we’ve got the horse racing circuit we can use and we’ve got the car track as well.”

 

Although Matt gushed about the challenge being an incredible experience, he admitted he had to make a “tough” decision before it could go ahead.

The television personality explained he found it difficult to choose which young people would be joining him in the rickshaws.

He got onto the subject when Alex said: “Matthew, it’s lovely to see you just very briefly.

“But we’re going to see lots more of you over the next month, really looking forward to it, they look like a great team as well.”

DON’T MISS:
Christine Lampard ‘glad’ she met Frank Lampard later on in her life [COMMENT]
Tamzin Outhwaite breaks silence on I’m A Celebrity 2020 rumours [OPINION]
A Place In The Sun presenter Laura Hamilton wears mask incorrectly [PICS]

Matt then replied: “Oh fantastic, it’s really tough our selection when we choose the team, but we think we’ve got a brilliant bunch as always.

“But seriously, thank you, I know it’s difficult to be asking for donations this year in particular but we’re happy to accept whatever you will give us.

“So thank you so much, here we are, 4,300 miles and £36million later, thanks for a great 10 years so far.”

Throughout the challenge, Matt, the young people and the crew will be following strict COVID guidelines. 

The closed confines of Goodwood will also help keep the riders and production team safe during the pandemic. 

It will begin on Friday, November 6 and will see the riders take on a variety of terrains to reach their daily target. 

There will be a live broadcast from Goodwood each evening on The One Show to show their progress. 

The One Show airs weekdays on BBC One at 7pm.

Source: Read Full Article