A hard working rugby fan collapsed and died in the queue at a Jobcentre as he waited to sign on.
David Bevan, 62, had a heart condition and diabetes but endured a 30-minute trip to get his benefits every two weeks.
The popular bachelor was his usual chatty self when he arrived to sign on last Friday and was told to wait his turn.
He was given a chair but minutes later made a loud snoring noise and collapsed of a suspected heart attack.
Jobcentre staff and a paramedic worked on him for 20 minutes with a defibrillator but David, known as Dai, couldn’t be revived.
His younger brother Simon, 40, said: “It is heartbreaking but I’m not blaming anyone.
“There’s a lot of talk and speculation about him being signed off and declared fit to work.
“But Dai never told me anything like that and I know he wouldn’t want anyone to be blamed.
“People are jumping onto the bandwagon and blaming the Government but we don’t bear any grudges."
Dai worked as a road layer and refuse collector up until two years ago when he started claiming unemployment benefit.
He took a 20-minute bus ride from his home in the coastal village of Burry Port, South Wales, to the nearby town of Llanelli, then had a five-minute walk to the Jobcentre.
Simon told how he had a heart scare 10 years ago and was diabetic but walked his two-year-old German Shepherd called Wally every day.
Dai loved to watch his kid brother pay rugby for Burry Port and the pair continued to support the team after Simon retired from the game.
Have you been affected by this story? Contact [email protected]
Two minutes silence was held before the club’s match with local rivals Kidwelly on Saturday.
Simon said: “He was a father a figure to me after my mum died when I was 13.
“I will miss him terribly but I just think it’s one of those unfortunate things, when your number’s up …”
Simon was in work last Friday when he had a call from a friend who works at Llanelli Jobcentre to say Dai had been taken ill.
A doctor and paramedic were still working on him when Simon arrived minutes later but he died in the waiting room where he collapsed.
Initial reports said the 62-year-old had recently been declared fit to work.
But a DWP source said reports the man had been declared fit to work were inaccurate and that he had been attending routine appointments for more than a year.
Simon said: “I’ve got nothing but praise for the Jobcentre staff, the ambulance crews and police.
“They did everything possible, I can’t thank them enough.”
Simon has been told the cause of death is a suspected heart attack and he is waiting for a coroner’s report before the funeral can go ahead.
A spokesperson for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: "We were called on Friday 15 November at approximately 09:33 am to reports of a person needing urgent medical attention on Stepney Street in central Llanelli.
"We responded with one rapid response vehicle, one specialised medical vehicle and one emergency ambulance."
A spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police said: "Police in Llanelli responded to a report of the sudden death of a 65-year-old man at Llanelli Jobcentre this morning (Friday, November 15).
"There are no suspicious circumstances. Next of kin and HM Coroner have been informed."
A DWP spokesman said: “Our thoughts and those of the staff at Llanelli Jobcentre are with the family and friends at this time."
Source: Read Full Article