Drunk gran’s attack left innocent man on life support in mistaken identity case

A gran has been jailed for 12 months for leading a shocking attack on a man with mental health difficulties – who was beaten so badly he had to be put on a life support machine.

Tammy Goodfellow, 41, snapped after downing ten pints of beer and mistaking the victim for someone who'd had a bust-up with her teenage son.

The innocent man had been out looking for a lost dog when Goodfellow spotted him during a night out in Hull, East Yorkshire, in the early hours of June 17 last year.

He was beaten unconscious in the street by the drunk gran, her husband Michael Goodfellow, 39, and her 17-year-old son Joe George.

The victim was in such a bad state that his pregnant girlfriend thought he was dead when she rushed to his side, Hull Crown Court was told.

CCTV showed Tammy Goodfellow hitting the man in the face as her son also slammed punches into him.

Michael Goodfellow placed his forearm around the victim's neck from behind and choked him into unconsciousness.

Tammy Goodfellow then knelt over the defenceless victim, who had by now wet himself, and rained blows down on his head.

Michael Goodfellow, who was still pinning the man down, only released his grip when the victim's pregnant partner arrived on the scene.

"She believed that the complainant was in fact dead because of his state, lying on the ground unconscious," Prosecutor Martin Robertshaw said.

As the girl tended to her boyfriend, Tammy Goodfellow, who was now barefoot, returned to kick him three times on the ground.

The court heard George, a delivery driver, was awaiting sentence for assault and having an offensive weapon.

After joining in the initial assault, he was knocked unconscious when he stumbled and banged his head against a bollard.

The man was rushed to hospital and placed on a ventilator in intensive care, where he remained until the following day.

In a victim statement, he said he now "lives in fear" and has suicidal thoughts.

He added: "I'm not the same person I once was, and can't understand how or why this has happened."

Tammy Goodfellow told police she was "ashamed of herself". Delivery driver Michael Goodfellow claimed he thought at the time his wife was being attacked.

The family, all of the same address in Douglas Road, Hull, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm.

Tammy Goodfellow had eight previous offences on her record, including two of ABH and a common assault.

Stephen Robinson, mitigating, said she was "extremely remorseful" and described the attack as "a sudden and severe loss of temper".

Michael Goodfellow was sentenced to six months in jail suspended for 12 months and ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work.

Source: Read Full Article