A mum has hit out at IKEA after her oven door exploded, showering her kitchen floor with shards of hot glass.
Emma Clark said it was fortunate her children were not in the room when the appliance detonated.
The shards of glass were so hot they scorched the recently-installed £600 flooring.
An IKEA spokesman today admitted the tempered glass used in the £375 Mattradition forced-air ovens, made by Whirlpool, has "a tendency to explode".
Emma, who lives near Cockermouth, Cumbria, said the appliance was less than a year old.
She had set the oven to self-cleaning mode when she heard a loud bang.
The 37-year-old took to Facebook to alert IKEA to the problem, writing: "IKEA Mattradition Oven.
"Less than a year old and the inner door just exploded sending hot glass out through the bottom and across the floor.
"I rang the number in the booklet only to be told 'it wasn't one of their ovens' and to call the same number tomorrow.
"Thankfully my kids weren't in the room at the time".
Emma has two children, aged three and six, and feared they could have been burned or cut had they been nearby. The oven was at a temperature of 250°C at the time of the explosion.
She said: "It was a huge shock, I was worried – nothing like this has happened before. I was just relieved that nobody was hurt.
"It's damaged my new vinyl floor and we're going to have to go through the insurance to get that fixed, so it's a hassle."
An IKEA spokesman said he was keen to look into the incident as a "product safety issue" and added that the tempered glass used for the oven door, ironically known as safety glass, has previously been known to shatter.
He said: "The tempered glass has a tendency to explode, but we wouldn't really know what has happened without being able to test it.
"We want to resolve this with the customer and they will not be out of pocket."
He added that reports of exploding oven doors were "not uncommon", but that this was not just limited to IKEA products.
In 2017 the consumer watchdog Which? produced an article highlighting the potential dangers of tempered glass doors.
A Which? spokesman said: "Tempered glass is thermally strengthened by heating it to more than 600 C, followed by rapid cooling. The outer layer of the glass cools more quickly, creating a compressed outer layer. This works to protect the inner part of the glass, which cools more slowly."
Source: Read Full Article