A mother has described the terrifying moment her daughter choked while chewing on a sweet on board a Ryanair flight from Spain.
Mother Kirsty Reed, 37,was travelling with her four-year-old and gave a her a Mento as a treat.
Summer began chewing on the sweet, which the mother cut into pieces to help with plane pressure when landing, Teesside Live reports.
As Kirsty was plaiting her daughter's hair, the four-year-old began choking and in sheer panic, the mother helplessly hit her daughter on the back to try and save her.
Fellow passenger Jordan Lowrie, 25, appeared out of nowhere and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre on the girl, successfully managing to dislodge the sweet from her throat.
Kirsty called Jordan their "absolute hero" and has urged other parents to learn first aid because she "didn't know what to do" in those few frantic moments as "sheer panic" set in.
She said: "I checked her immediately and she was choking.
"I took my belt off and hers and started whacking her back but it was still lodged in her throat and she was severely distressed."
Within seconds, a man in front got hold of Summer and started hitting her back hard.
"Summer’s hands and legs were kicking about, but she made no noise," the mum from from Redcar in Middlesbrough continued.
"Her face was distressed and she could not breathe.
"I screamed the plane down saying 'help me, help my daughter'.
"Then out of no where, Jordan – unknown to me at the time – shot up, took her off him and carried out the Heimlich manovuer.
"Within about three goes, she let out an almighty scream and out came the sweet.
"I’ve never been so relieved in all my life."
Jordan had been on a lads' holiday to Benidorm and had taken a nap in his seat when he was woken up by the screams.
Days earlier, he'd seen a Facebook video of a restaurant waiter saving a man's life using the manoeuvre – otherwise he would not have known what to do.
Now Kirsty says she is still "reliving" the terrifying ordeal in her head, but if it has taught her anything it is that " we all need to be first aid trained ."
She said: "In those moments, I completely froze and didn’t know what to do to save her other than bang her back – which didn’t work.
"A simple view of a video saving someone’s life helped save my daughter's life.
"Parents especially should all be aware of life saving techniques.
Source: Read Full Article