A TODDLER'S heart stopped beating as he was choking and he was feared to be dead – until firefighters used a special tool.
The 11-month-old's life was saved by EMS as the toddler was choking on a bottle cap and had an undetected pulse.
EMS with the City of Madison Fire Department in Madison, Wisconsin, arrived at the scene at 11.41am on Thursday.
The fire department's Public Information Officer Cynthia Schuster said in a report: "The child was carried outside to meet first responders. Upon Ladder 2’s arrival, a Madison Police officer already on scene was performing back blows to try to clear the object from the child’s airway to no avail.
"Ladder 2 took over patient care, alternating between back blows and chest compressions.
"The obstruction would not budge. Within moments, the child’s heart stopped beating."
As EMTs performed CPR, paramedics told others to get a Magill forceps (angled forceps) and a laryngoscope.
According to Science Direct, a laryngoscope helps with the visualization of the trachea during intubation and has two parts – a handle with a battery holder and a blade.
Most read in The Sun
WHAT A BOOB
Camilla Cabello accidentally flashes a boob live on The One Show
WHAT A BOOB
Open All Hours and EastEnders star Lynda Baron dies aged 82
EastEnders legend joins Hollyoaks as scheming new supervillain
I’m a catfish and my glowup is so extreme people say it’s the best they’ve seen
Thankfully, the obstruction was cleared, along with fluids from the toddler's mouth and airway, before the child was transported to the hospital.
The child’s oxygen saturation levels returned to normal levels as the toddler's mouth was and airways opened up.
"En route to the hospital, the child became more responsive and eventually began to cry, a welcome sound to all who had come to his aid," the fire department report concludes.
Last year, a baby tragically died one week after choking on a cookie in front of her horrified parents at their home, the family said.
One-year-old Isabella Stark, was walking around the house in South Africa eating a macadamia cookie, when she tragically inhaled part of the biscuit.
Family spokesman Juliet Basson said little Isabella was airlifted to a pediatric intensive care unit and was operated on the same night, the South African reports.
Doctors successfully removed the particles from the girl’s lungs and she underwent neuroprotection therapy, which meant keeping her sedated.
But a week after choking on the cookie, it was decided to turn off the life-support machine.
Meanwhile, parents Ashleigh and Jesse Chapman were faced with a heart-breaking nightmare when their 11-month old son, Heath, tragically died after choking on a balloon.
Main Cause of Choking Deaths
Balloons account for 43% of the approximately 15 childhood deaths related to children's products that are documented each year by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Toy rubber balloons are thus the leading cause of pediatric choking deaths from children's products
Balloons caused 29% of deaths by choking overall.
Objects such as balloons caused a significantly higher proportion of deaths in those aged 3 years or older (60%) vs those younger than 3 years (33%).
Of the 101 objects causing deaths that we could analyze, 14 met current standards for use by children of any age.
The most common item that caused fatal aspiration was a toy balloon.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS
Source: Read Full Article