Timeline of terror shows how knifeman brought death and chaos to London Bridge

London Bridge was plunged into chaos for the second time yesterday as a terrorist rampaged through the streets slashing victims.

Two members of the public were killed and three people were injured by 28-year-old radical Usman Khan.

Khan was shot dead by police after being dragged to the floor and beaten by heroic members of the public.

Trained officers confronted the murderer as others raced from building to building to ensure no other attackers were at large.

It's understood many of those officers involved in yesterday's response had also been called to the scene in 2017.

The June 2017 attack was carried out by Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane, and Youssef Zaghba – who claimed eight lives after mowing down pedestrians and stabbing innocent bystanders.

Now, as the city reels from another atrocity, here is the timeline of how yesterday's horrific events unfolded.

1:55pm – Attacker storms Fishmongers' Hall

  • London Bridge attack: Usman Khan acted alone, police believe as they raid home

  • London Bridge terrorist freed automatically after appeal court quashed sentence

Usman Khan stormed Fishmongers' Hall just before 2pm where he began slashing victims.

Witnesses described screams of terror as those nearby ran for their lives from the building and surrounding areas.

Mirror reporter Talia Shadwell was among the crowds caught up in the panic and said her friend "saw people on their phones crying.

"Police were shouting at people to move out the street, people were running behind us and so we started running as well.

"It's not often you hear police being that forceful."

1:58pm – Police take first emergency calls from terrified public

The Metropolitan Police reported the first call on the attack was been made at 1:58pm.

Response teams were immediately sent to support police already at the scene as officers worked to clear the area.

Officers begin checking surrounding buildings and streets for any other attackers.

2:02pm – Knifeman pinned to the ground

  • London Bridge attack: How elite police gunned down Usman Khan within 5 minutes of 999 call

Usman Khan was pinned to the ground by a group of heroic passers-by who risked their lives running towards the scene.

One man was seeing carrying a 5ft narwhal tusk as the group tackled the terrorist while another, an off duty British Transport Police officer, grappled the knife from his hand.

The man then runs from the scene and attempts to herd people away.

Thomas Gray also explained how he ran to the scene and stamped on Khan's wrist to release the knife.

He said: "I did what any Londoner would do and tried to put a stop to it.

"He had two knives on him, one in each hand, and it looked like they were taped to his hand".

"I stamped on his left wrist while someone else smacked his hand on the ground and kicked one of the knives away.

Stevie Hurst also raced to the scene after pulling over his car to help, saying: "I just put a foot in to try and kick him in the head, we were trying to do as much as we could to try and dislodge the knife from his hand so he wouldn't harm anyone else."

2:03pm – Police move in on terrorist

  • Faces of London Bridge heroes who risked their lives to tackle armed terrorist

Armed police drag members of the public off the knifeman as they surround him.

They order the group to immediately leave the area as the heroes begin fleeing.

Police spot Khan appears to be wearing a suicide vest, thought to be hoax, and fire two shots from MP5s.

Khan is killed on the spot as surrounding areas continue to be evacuated – including Borough Market.

3:22 pm – Police confirm man has been shot and incident is bing treated as terror

  • Police probe if London Bridge terror attacker was lone wolf or part of cell

At 3:22pm, the Met officially confirm Khan has been shot and the incident is being treated as terror-related.

In a statement the said: "Emergency services attended, including officers from the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police.

"A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene."

3:55pm – Multiple people confirmed as injured

Police issued a statement saying: "A number of other people received injuries during the incident and as soon as we can provide further updates on their condition, we will."

4:30pm – Police confirm terror attack

  • London Bridge hero describes how he tackled knife-wielding terror attacker

Neil Basu, the head of UK counter-terrorism policing, said: "I can confirm at approximately 14:00 GMT today police were called to a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge.

“A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene.”

The police chief then heads to Downing Street to brief Prime Minister Boris Johnson .

8:16pm – Met Chief confirms two members of the public died

Cressida Dick confirms two members of the public died in the terrorist attack.

Her heart went out to their loved ones and the three further injured victims.

She added: "We must emerge stronger still from this tragedy. By doing that we will ensure that the very few that seek to divide us will never, ever succeed.“

Cressida Dick praised members of the public for detaining the attacker.

“This support is how our public assists us much more than you could know,” she said.

Source: Read Full Article