Andrew Neil has said that he isn't happy with GB News' shock coverage of Meghan Markle during an impassioned rant about the 's**t-show disaster' news channel he recently left.
Neil was the GB News chairman and had a prime-time presenting role when the channel launched in June this year.
Following a raft of technical mishaps and controversies after the launch, the 72-year-old's departure from the £60 million project was officially announced earlier this month.
In a GB News statement, Neil said: "I am sorry to go but I have concluded it's time to reduce my commitments on a number of fronts.
"Over the summer I've had time to reflect on my extensive portfolio of interests and decided it was time to cut back.
"I wish GB News well in continuing to fulfil its funding promise and mission to reach audiences currently underserved by existing news broadcasters."
Now, Neil has revealed that the reasons behind his departure go far beyond having too many commitments. One of them is the way in which GB News covers Meghan Markle.
He told the Daily Mail: "I do feel angry though about what they’ve done to a beautiful dream. This was a vision that might have worked.
"But if you watch the constant themes that come through again and again from the shock jockeys on GB News, the perception is 'we hate migrants, we hate the NHS, we hate lockdown and we hate Meghan Markle'."
He also ranted that, off the back of his experience as chairman of Sky in 1988, he knew that GB News was not ready to launch when it did.
He continued: "When I do look back, the one thing I will say is I wish I’d been more publicly demonstrative about not launching on June 13.
"It wouldn’t have stopped the launch and it wouldn’t have stopped the s**t-show that followed, but I would have been on the record saying: 'Don’t do this. It’s going to be a disaster.'"
Neil's reputation, as one of the most decorated British journalists of all time, was tarnished by the channel's long list of gaffes which left him "in despair".
"Live TV is stressful at the best of times but not knowing whether or not the technology would work. It just got worse and worse," Neil added.
"That stress was just huge. It meant you couldn’t think about the journalism. You were just constantly wondering: 'Will we make it through the hour?' By the end of that first week, I knew I had to get out."
A statement from GB News to the Mail includes: "At no point did Andrew raise concerns of the editorial direction of GB News moving to the right. As with all companies, decision-making rests with the board, and GB News is no different. As a member of the board, Andrew had the same rights and abilities to raise concerns, and he was privy to all decisions."
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Source: Read Full Article