BBC Breakfast host Charlie Stayt replaced by Jon Kay in presenter shake-up
Naga Munchetty was left red-faced when she was shut down by a royal expert after a blunder about the Queen.
The BBC Breakfast host was interviewing Roya Nikkhah after Buckingham Palace confirmed the Queen will be attending the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday after her recent bout of illness.
The gaffe came when Naga wrongly assumed that the 95-year-old Monarch would be laying a wreath at the war memorial during the ceremony at the weekend.
She asked if the Queen would need assistance with laying the tribute sparking Roya to cut in.
The royal expert said: “Well, she no longer lays a wreath.
“The Prince of Wales has been laying a wreath on her behalf for several years. She will watch from the balcony, and Prince Charles will lay a wreath on her behalf.”
The Queen stopped laying the wreath herself in 2017 when she and late husband Prince Philip watched from the balcony as their son, Prince Charles, laid the offering for them.
Her attendance this year has been in doubt after doctors ordered her to rest for two weeks with her following the advice and taking a break from public duties over the past couple of weeks.
However, she had been determined not to miss the significant event this weekend.
Roya told Naga: “I think it will be really poignant for those veterans to have her there.”
Naga also discussed the possibility of the cold weather aggravating the Royal matriarchs health further as she expressed concerns for the Queen with Roya.
The royal expert continued: “Hopefully it won’t be too physically demanding, it will hopefully just be her usual service.
“She will be up there on the balcony, she will be, yes, outdoors, but she’ll be wrapped up very warm as she always is.
“So, fingers crossed, whatever the weather on Sunday, that won’t deter her Majesty from being there at the centre. She’s used to all weathers.”
The Queen spent the night in hospital on October 20 after medical experts dealing with her case requested diagnostic tests.
Her attendance at the Remembrance Sunday event however doesn't signal a full return to work.
The Palace has confirmed she will miss her five-yearly visit to the General Synod next week for the first time in the 51 years since it began.
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Source: Read Full Article